ASSESSMENT ADVISORY COUNCIL
Assessment Advisory Council (AAC) at RK University was stablished in 2014 with objective to promote innovative assessment methods to fulfill desired learning outcomes of the course. As the learning need of each course varies, pedagogy of teaching also varies. However, assessment methods have remained stringently same over time. We, at RKU, have recognized the need to shift the orientation of these assessment patterns to match the learning needs of the course. Valuing the important role of faculties in this process, we encourage & invite all faculties to design innovative assessment methods that would suit the pedagogy of teaching and learning needs of the students. The role of AAC is to guide all faculties to develop innovative assessment methods and approve them for actual practice. This prior screening is for maintaining & improving RK University’s academic standards and achieving learning outcomes.
AAC has guided many faculties and permitted more than 1000 applications for innovative assessment so far. In its constant endeavor to promote innovative assessment, AAC has taken many initiatives and path breaking steps to assist applicants.
1. Objective of AAC
- AAC is established to promote innovative assessment methods to fulfill desired learning outcomes of program.
- To streamline the process of updating assessment methods for all courses across the university
- To ensure high quality, fair, transparent, and accurate assessments
- To support faculties in improving their assessment methods
- To provide guidance on innovative non-exam-based assessments.
- To ensure formative assessments lead to increased student learning.
- To ensure that assessment method is in line with course pedagogy.
As the learning need of each course varies, pedagogy of teaching also varies. However, assessment methods have remained stringently same over time. We, at RKU, have recognized the need to shift the orientation of these assessment patterns to match the learning needs of the course. Valuing the important role of faculties in this process, we encourage and invite all faculties to design innovative assessment methods that would suit the pedagogy of teaching and learning needs of the students. The role of AAC is to guide all faculties to develop innovative assessment methods and approve them for actual practice.
The entire process of approval is described below.a) Application:
Any faculty who wishes to apply for alternative assessment method must fill the APPLICATION FORM which is exhaustive and self-explanatory. Applicant must inform respective HOD/Director and ask to arrange Peer Review and Director Review.b) Peer Review:
The Director of the respective School will decide upon the Peer Review committee where the faculties will review the proposed assessment method of the applicant(s) & share their suggestions / feedback. In case of suggestions from peer review stage, the applicant(s) will have to re-frame the same in accordance with the suggestions & modify it. The application will be forwarded for Director Review & is encouraged further. Peer review report in hard copy will be submitted to director by respective AAC coordinator of the school.c) Director Review:
The director will review the proposed assessment pattern & the peer reviews for the same. After confirmation of the application in relevance to the guidelines provided, the director may accept/suggest modification or reject the same. In case of rejection, the applicant(s) has/have to make suggested / required changes & go through the peer review before the application reaches for Director review (in the same Semester or in the coming Semester, In case of the same Semester, the re-submission must be at the earliest). In case of modifications the applicant(s) will have to re-frame the same in accordance with the Director’s suggestions & modified application will be submitted to AAC. Page 2 of 6 In case of the Director's confirmation, the application will be submitted to AAC along with hard copy of peer review report and director review report.d) AAC Review:
The AAC members will evaluate the application. AAC committee also includes Director of the respective school, academic experts and course expert related to applied course. AAC review report will be generated for each application and will be shared with respective applicant, AAC coordinator of school and respective school Director. In case of rejection, the applicant will have to make suggested/required changes & resubmit (within a week) to the Director for further approval. If minor modification is suggested during AAC review, then applicants has/have to make necessary changes to get approval. In case AAC accepts the application, the same will be intimated to the Director (of the respective School of the applicant), COE & the applicant. After getting final approval by AAC, students will be informed by faculties regarding pattern of assessment method, rubrics, timeline at the start of semester etc.
- Guidance to faculties to adopt assessment methods relevant to their mode of teaching & learning.
- Promotion of continuous and stress-free evaluations.
- Review process of AAC is extremely exhaustive and thorough, requiring detailed thinking and planning, so only well-designed and well-planned proposals can get approval.
- AAC review committees and coordinators include educational experts to identify loopholes of the proposals and to guide applicants to improve their proposals.
- AAC Review process is completed prior to commencement of respective semester.
- There is a provision for blanket application approval for method of assessment if director finds that this method may be applicable for more than one course. Once any method is approved as a blanket by AAC committee, this may be used by any faculties for any course of school subject to approval by Director.
5. Evidence of Success
- We have observed drastically reduced stress and fear of examinations in the mind of students.
- More than 1000 proposals for more than 30 different mode of evaluations have been successfully implemented.
- Mode of evaluations are more oriented to the higher levels of Bloom’s taxonomy.
- Faculties are much more open and confident of adopting the innovative mode of evaluations.
- AAC members have been invited at international conferences at Infosys Pune and BMS College Bangalore.
- Empowering and sensitizing faculties for adoption of innovative modes of evaluation suitable for their course curriculum is challenging. We have conducted numbers of workshops which were delivered by educational experts to provide guidance for different mode of evaluations.
- To judge the most suitable mode of evaluation pertaining to specific course curricula, is one of the biggest tasks which we continually address during the review process.
- Monitoring the implementation of the approved assessment methods is critical. We have developed review process such that Director of School monitors the progress at regular interval during progress of the semester.
- Documentation of the entire process is difficult but necessary.
- Sharing of the generated knowledge is critical for organization growth and the institutionalization of the initiative.
- Time management for conducting exam by this assessment method is also very critical.